8 Tips for Keeping Your HVAC Unit Running Properly
- Comments Off on 8 Tips for Keeping Your HVAC Unit Running Properly
If there is one thing that we can all appreciate about being a homeowner, is the fact that we want to be comfortable when we are in our home. In fact, we will go out of our way to ensure that our comfort is at the highest level possible. That is especially true when the temperature is uncomfortable outside, and you have probably come to appreciate your HVAC unit. It will keep you comfortable year-round, regardless of whether it is a cold winter night or a hot summer afternoon.
Quite obviously, most of us would never want to do without our HVAC unit, not even for a single day. That is why it is vitally important to ensure that you are caring for the unit on an ongoing basis. This may require some preventative maintenance or some other type of hands-on work to ensure that everything is operating as smooth as silk. To be honest, there are going to be some difficult situations that may arise with the HVAC unit. When you keep the following 8 tips in mind, however, you can enjoy the HVAC and skip many of those problems.
- Keep It Clean – One of the issues that often occurs with the HVAC unit is the fact that it gets cluttered by debris. It is important to ensure that the unit is free of debris, and this would require regular inspection. Many of us have an HVAC unit that is tucked out of the way and unless we go out of our way, we may not be able to visually inspect it. Take the time to do so and be sure that you clean off the grill and cage if any debris has blown up against it.
- Turn off the Power – Many of the tips that we provide on this page require that you come in close proximity to the HVAC unit. It is important to shut off the power before you do any work so that the risk of electrocution is eliminated. There are also moving parts to other parts of the HVAC unit that could cause problems if you come into contact with it while it is energized.
- Take Care Of the Fins – The fins of the unit should be cleaned on a regular basis and sometimes, they may require specific care. For this, it is necessary to remove the outer covers and to either vacuum the fins with a shop vacuum or to spray them down with a garden hose. You may need to do both to ensure that they are as clean as possible. You should then use a knife to straighten any fins that have been bent over time. You can also use a fin rake for this purpose but don’t be too harsh with the unit. You don’t want to damage the tubing in the fins.
- Keep It Level – This is an HVAC tip that is often overlooked. In order to run at peak efficiency, the unit must be on level ground. Unfortunately, the pad that often holds the unit can settle over time and this can cause strain on the compressor. If you notice that the unit has gone out of level, do what is necessary to ensure that it is level again. It will help your unit to run more efficiently and will also help to extend the life of the unit, so you save money.
- Evaporator Coils – It is necessary to go further into the unit to deal with the evaporator coil. Be sure that you have the power shut off at the breaker box and then dust off the coil with a soft brush. You can then spray down the coils with a commercial coil cleaner that you can purchase at most hardware stores. When you spray the coil, it will create a lot of foam but that will run down into the drip pan. Be sure that you wash out the drip pan with a little bleach.
- Use Some Slime Tabs – Since you are dealing with water and, typically the proper temperature, you may have a problem with the formation of mold and mildew. This is especially true in the drain pan so you should drop in a couple of slime tabs to keep it from accumulating. Not only can it help the drain pan to remain clear, it will also help the drain line to remain clear.
- Check the Drain Line – One of the issues that can occur with the HVAC unit is for the drain line to become clogged. This can cause water to back up into the home and potentially, cause some property damage. In addition, it makes it likely that mold would form and then you have a more serious problem. You can clean out the drain line with a blast of air from an air compressor or with a heavy stream of water from a garden hose. You can also vacuum the line out from the drip pan.
- Change the Filters – Although this seems like a rather simplistic and possibly obvious tip, it is one that is often overlooked by many homeowners. Make sure that you change out the filters on a regular basis. The blower filter may be inside of the home or it could be located in-line. Changing this on a regular basis will help to reduce the possibility that you will strain the unit by making it work harder. In addition, it allows for a cleaner exchange of air inside of the home. In doing so, it can help you to breathe easier and reduce your allergies.
Although there are many things that can be done to the HVAC unit, these 8 tips from bluon company can go a long way in helping you to be happy with your equipment for a very long time. Make sure that you do them on a routine basis and set up reminders so that you don’t forget. It can really make a difference in the operation of your unit.